Muzzi Srl produces Diamond and CBN electroplated tools.
Electroplated tools allow obtaining tight tolerances when grinding complex shapes.
Electroplated tools consist in a layer of super abrasive crystals, bonded to the steel core with a nickel bond.
The nickel coating retains diamond or CBN crystals, whose tips protrude from the bonding approx half their dimension.
Therefore, the adhesion of every single crystal is very good.
At the same time, the cutting edges, protruding out of the bonding surface, make the cut very aggressive, leaving large areas for the debris to flow away.
In many precision grinding shops, the grinding of complex shapes is still performed with a conventional abrasive wheel.
The purchasing cost of the wheel is relatively low, but the grinding process is often very time-consuming :
- the grinding depth is normally a few hundredths of a millimetre;
- the conventional wheel has to be dressed very often and the execution of profiles requires a lot of technique and ‘savoir-faire’
- the conventional wheel is almost never ‘universal’: in order to grind different materials, different wheel ‘recipes’ have to be used.
Moreover, some articles that need grinding may be partially coated with ceramic or carbide layers.
In all these cases, it is foreseeable to deeply modify the grinding process through the introduction of an electroplated wheel.
Together with our customers, we developed a huge number of different applications. For example:
- edge shaping of very special stainless steel strips
- precise shaping of ‘seeger’ seats on tempered steel shafts
- shape grinding on steel shafts coated with a wear-resistant ceramic layer
- polishing of small ceramic parts for the aerospace industry
- grinding of complex shapes on parts made of Inconel
These are all successful stories, where the cycle time has been dramatically reduced and profiles with tight tolerances have been easily achieved within the finishing specs.
If your grinding processes are slow and repetitive.
If you are not satisfied with the performance of your grinding process.
If you think there is scope to improve your grinding process or the product itself…
Do contact us!
Our application engineers are at your complete disposal and will discuss with you the opportunity to introduce the electroplated wheel within your production process.